Friday, June 29, 2012

Jackpot!

I usually go to Marvin Home Center in Warroad, but I had to do some banking in Roseau and give my father in law a ride back home.  He was being kind of pokey, so I decided to go do my shopping at Ace Hardware in Roseau instead.  Wow, was that the best idea ever. I found two very exciting things to use on my fireplace.  The first is called Sculpture Stone.  It's like a paintable texture stuff that can look like stone.  The second is call Spread Stone.  It is like very runny concrete that can be spread with a trowel or painted on.  It can be used on anything -- even floors.

I looked into these products (via the internet) a couple of years ago.  They were about $50 per gallon, and I didn't feel comfortable ordering a bunch of it and then it not working well.  I had no idea that Ace in Roseau carried it.  Well, not only did they carry it, it is now on clearance.  Yeppers -- I got it for $10 a gallon.  I even found a gallon of glazing medium on clearance for $10 too!

I bought a gallon of mushroom colored paint, a gallon of glazing stuff, and as much Sculpture Stone and Spread Stone as I could get with the $100 I brought with me.  I think I'm going to go back and get the rest of it.


For the sake of my budget, I'm not counting all of the Sculpture Stone and Spread Stone.  I'm only going to count the stuff the I actually use in this room.  Anything I use in other rooms will be added to those budgets.  So, here's the breakdown so far:


$35      1 gallon of paint (mushroom color)
$10      1 gallon Spread Stone
$10      1 gallon Sculpture Stone
$10      1 gallon glazing medium
$3        joint tape


$68      Total


If I really luck out, I might be able to find some curtains at a garage sale or second hand store.  Otherwise, I suppose I will go curtainless.  It doesn't look too bad.

So, here's how it's looking so far:

 This is the third coat, and it's still fairly wet.  As it dries up a bit more, it gets knocked down.  I don't think that it actually looks like stone, but I think it looks pretty good.  Maybe when it's painted, it will look a little more stone-like.

There is a part in the center where the joints didn't cover very well.  I used joint tape and used the Sculpture stone over it.  In hind sight, I probably should have used regular joint compound and worked it like I would a regular dry wall joint.

So I have the top of the fireplace mostly done.  It just needs painting.  So I started the base of the fireplace and troweled the Spread Stone.  This is just one coat.  I think I'll need two coats on the sides of the base, but the top of the base looks good with just one coat.


The Spread Stone is tinted.  It is a little lighter than the mushroom paint, but I got the closest color available.  It was really easy to work with, but it's taking its sweat time drying.  I may not be able to get the second coat on today.

So, it looks as if I will be doing a second coat on the base tomorrow.  If the Sculpture Stone gets dry enough, I'd like to get it painted today.  I'll paint the back of the bookshelves, too.  If time allows, I'd like to start on the faux finish freshening, too, but I'll probably end up doing that one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment