Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chicken With My Head Cut Off

I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Mark and I are busy preparing for our fabulous two week vacation. It's our first trip away from the baby, and I'm very nervous. The little ones will be home with the nanny while we are gone, so that makes me feel much better. Their routine will not be disrupted other than getting a little time away from the house with aunties and grandparents (to give the nanny a break). We also got a new computer for Mark to use in the shop (I was sick of grease stains on my pink netbook). We are going to leave his at home and take mine on the trip with the hopes of being able to skype the kids while we are gone. I've never done it before, so we are going to practice later this week. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- especially if you've every done it internationally. Does that even work?

So, first of all, work is crazy busy. Summer is usually slower, which gives me an opportunity to catch up on some paperwork and take some time off. Not so much this summer. The kids (and parents) are wild. It's like a 3-month-long Full Moon. If you know anything about the population I work with, you know how the full moon goes!

Secondly, I'm not done with the gift for our friend's wedding. Luckily, I checked on the TSA website last night, and both my embroidery needles and crochet hooks are okay to take on the plane. There is even a special section on their website about knitting and needle work, which was very helpful. I will have more than enough time in the air to finish the gift. (I decided to do a traditional mid-west American wedding gift: a set of embroidered flour towels and other cute kitcheny things. As both the bride and groom recently gained their American citizenship, I did a patriotic theme. Super cute. I also crocheted a wrap for the bride. It turned out beautifully, and I hope she is able to wear it).

Which brings me to my third problem. It will probably be way too hot to wear a wrap: there is a record heat wave and drought in Russia. And now there are all these fires right outside of Moscow that are causing major air quality problems. Not good for my breathing issues. People are dropping dead left and right, and I'm a little worried. Luckily, Olesia's father is a doctor. Unfortunately, she mentioned to me once that her family doesn't speak English. I think that I will be contacting the pharmacy to see if they can give me an extra rescue inhaler, just in case.

And did I mention that I'm just a bit worried about being away from the kids? I really want to go, but the thought of actually leaving is about to send me into a full blown anxiety attack. I'm super distracted during the day, and I'm having a hard time sleeping at night. The logical part of my brain knows that they will be just fine and that I'll miss them more than they will miss me. The emotional part of me is, like, in anguish. I'm a very logical person, and I can usually talk myself down from troubling emotions with a good reasonable internal dialogue. It's not working so well this time. This anguishing emotional unreasonableness is so unlike me that I'm on the verge of freaking out. "My babies! They are going to miss me! And I'm going to miss them! Whaaaa!"

A lady I work with said that I'll have a good cry on the way to the airport, and then a minor pitty party the first couple of nights while I'm gone, and then it'll sink in that everything's fine and I'll relax and have fun. I hope she's right. She also said that I should expect to get the cold shoulder when I get home. I hope she's not right about that. I expect lots of hugs and kisses when I get home!

2 comments:

  1. May your Skype Crap continue to be holy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that you are referring to my facebook status, huh? "Holy Crap! Skype is awesome!" The whole family tried it out last night and we were all impressed. Micah kept going from one room to the other, trying to catch himself on both video feeds. Mady smiled at me, said "Hi" and blew kisses. The nanny said that it was impressive. I feel SO much better about leaving the kids. Now I just hope that I'll have internet access at the hotel!!

    ReplyDelete